Thursday, March 09, 2006

Carving

The last two weeks of Term Three we will be Printmaking on Thursdays and Fridays.

This is actually quite a beautiful craft!

See underneath picture of us receiving instructions by our tutor Sara Ogilvie.



Instructions on the printing wheel.

Our first personal attempt to print has been with (black) paint rubbed onto a wooden plate.



I then covered the paint rubbed side of the wooden plate with a piece of A3 size paper.



Now I was able to either draw, push, or rub images onto the paper that would touch the paint, i.e. it would be printed.



As an image I looked up the newspaper and found this nice couple of a barber and his customer, receiving a haircut.

Needless to say, I didn't opt for the usual pens, brushes, or pencils. Instead I use sandpaper and maderine/orange skins to cover pieces of the picture.







The sandpaper would give a texture to the hair parts, whereas the fruit skin would texturize the faces of the two men.

And these are the first prints, resulting from my 'experiment'.






With hairclips

Next, we had to carve bits out of the wooden plate and thus make an imprint.

In line with my process of carving I decided I would use images of carving; the Underground.



courtesy http://www.ta.tudelft.nl/coalpage/Ondergrondse%20technologie/webplaatjes/transport/transport.htm

I will cut out the lighter areas of the picture in the wooden plate and thus have those areas show white on my printed paper. Tomorrow I will add an image of the Underground network to this print using different colors.



Underground network

Out of it will result a collage of Underground imagery.

Let's call it a day.

No comments: